Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pasta 2 Ways

One thing I absolutely love to eat is pasta...pasta absolutely any way I can get it really.  Tom and I were both craving some beef this week so I made a meaty marinara on top of whole wheat noodles. 
I don't want to cut red meat out of my diet completely and the anti-inflammatory research I have done said to eat it sparingly (1-2 times per month) so this was our first red meat meal of the month.  It's a really simple recipe where I just throw in spices without measuring. 

Here's pasta the first way...Laura's Specialty


I will try to write down a recipe for you.  This is close to what I throw in I think.  You can tweak it to your taste.

Laura's Specialty
(serves approx. 4 large helpings)

1/2 box whole wheat penne
1 can marinara sauce (watch the label for sugar)
1 lb. lean beef or turkey
2 tbsp garlic
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 small can mushrooms
dash of salt
1 tbsp parmesan

Boil the noodles in water with a dash of salt.
Combine meat with spices and mushrooms in a large skillet.  Brown spices, mushrooms and meat. 
Add marinara to contents of skillet.  Top noodles with marinara meat sauce. Sprinkle parmesan and enjoy. :)


Pasta the second way is the Spaghetti Crock Pot recipe I was talking about earlier this week.  It's made with turkey and A LOT of spices!  It is incredibly flavorful and easy to make.  It was a nice change up to my normal pasta recipes.  The picture didn't turn out the best, but it sure tasted good!


Here's the recipe again...the original is called Skinny Spaghetti Crock Pot, but I didn't see anything skinny about it.  Maybe the turkey makes it skinny.

Sauce Ingredients:
1 jar spaghetti sauce (Watch the labels for sugar!)
2/3 box whole wheat spaghetti (uncooked)
1 c. low fat ricotta cheese
1 c. shredded mozzerella cheese
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Turkey Sausage Ingredients:
1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp. dried sage
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. dried oregano

Directions:
Combine turkey and seasonings to make the turkey sausage.  Cook turkey with seasonings.  When pink is gone, drain fat.  Add spaghetti sauce to meat.

In a large mixing bowl combine mozzerella, ricotta, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.  Mix to combine.
In a slow cooker, spoon a layer of meat sauce onto the bottom, add a double layer of pasta (break to fit if necessary), top with cheese mixture. 

Repeat layering until the ingredients are all used up.  You should have 3-4 layers.
Cover and cook on low for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until spaghetti is Al Dente (firm but not hard)

Serve with a side salad or veggies.  Enjoy!

The Great Migraine Battle continues...

Laura : 20  Migraines : 2

I have still only had two, but lately I have been lacking energy and have been extra tired.  I have been getting 9 hours of sleep each night, eating really well, exercising 5-6 times a week, and taking a multi-vitamin.  I was really expecting to have more energy with these lifestyle changes.  Maybe my body is just getting used to this, but I am thinking about going to see my doctor to make sure I'm not anemic or have sleep apnea or something like that.  Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment